The impact of an online technology course on pre-service teachers’ technological knowledge: Strategies and design
1 Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA2 National Taipei University of Technology, Taipei City, TAIWAN* Corresponding Author
International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 5(2), 2023, ep2315, https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/13772
Published: 10 October 2023
OPEN ACCESS 160 Views 120 Downloads
This study investigated how pre-service teachers’ technology integration knowledge changed as a result of participating in an online educational technology course for a semester in the Fall of 2020 and the Spring of 2021. The pre-service teachers’ technology integration knowledge development was assessed through their self-reported technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). A total of 194 participants completed a validated TPACK pre- and post-test survey. The results of multilevel modeling analysis suggested that the participants had significant gains in all TPACK domains. Strategies used in designing the online educational technology course were examined for their contribution to pre-service teachers’ TPACK development. Educational technology-based course included activities that facilitated the integration of the components of TPACK framework through peer interactions, lesson planning, and peer feedback. The findings have implications for future research and provide guidance for the design of effective online learning environments to improve pre-service teachers’ technology integration knowledge.
Greene, M. D., Cheng, S.-L., & Jones, W. M. (2023). The impact of an online technology course on pre-service teachers’ technological knowledge: Strategies and design. International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 5(2), ep2315. https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/13772
- Agyei, D. D., & Voogt, J. M. (2015). Pre-service teachers’ TPACK competencies for spreadsheet integration: Insights from a mathematics-specific instructional technology course. Technology, Pedagogy and Education, 24(5), 605-625. https://doi.org/10.1080/1475939X.2015.1096822
- Aktas, I., & Ozmen, H. (2020). Investigating the impact of TPACK development course on pre-service science teachers’ performances. Asia Pacific Education Review, 21(4), 667-682. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12564-020-09653-x
- Bower, M., Howe, C., McCredie, N., Robinson, A., & Grover, D. (2014). Augmented reality in education–Cases, places and potentials. Educational Media International, 51(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/09523987.2014.889400
- Cengiz, C. (2015). The development of TPACK, technology integrated self-efficacy and instructional technology outcome expectations of pre-service physical education teachers. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 43(5), 411-422. https://doi.org/10.1080/1359866X.2014.932332
- Chai, C. S., Koh, J. H. L., & Tsai, C. C. (2011a). Facilitating pre-service teachers’ development of technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK). Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 13(4), 63-73.
- Chai, C. S., Koh, J. H. L., & Tsai, C. C. (2013). A review of technological pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 16(2), 31-51.
- Chai, C. S., Koh, J. H. L., Tsai, C. C., & Tan, L. L. W. (2011b). Modeling primary school pre-service teachers’ technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for meaningful learning with information and communication technology (ICT). Computers & Education, 57(1), 1184-1193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2011.01.007
- Cohen, J., Cohen, P., West, S. G., & Aiken, L. S. (2013). Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203774441
- Durdu, L., & Dag, F. (2017). Pre-service teachers’ TPACK development and conceptions through a TPACK-based course. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 42(11), 150-171. https://doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2017v42n11.10
- Farjon, D., Smits, A., & Voogt, J. (2019). Technology integration of pre-service teachers explained by attitudes and beliefs, competency, access, and experience. Computers & Education, 130, 81-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2018.11.010
- Garson, G. D. (2019). Multilevel modeling. SAGE.
- Goktas, Y., Yildirim, Z., & Yildirim, S. (2008). A review of ICT related courses in pre-service teacher education programs. Asia Pacific Education Review, 9, 168-179. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03026497
- Habowski, T., & Mouza, C. (2014). Pre-service teachers’ development of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) in the context of a secondary science teacher education program. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 22(4), 471-495.
- Herring, M. C. Koehler, M. J., Mishra, P., Rosenberg, J. M., & Teske, J. (2016). Introduction to the second edition of the TPACK handbook. In M. C. Herring, M. J. Koehler, & P. Mishra (Eds.), Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for educators (pp. 1-8). Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315771328
- Hoffman, L. (2015). Longitudinal analysis: Modeling within-person fluctuation and change. Routledge.
- Jin, Y. (2017). Longitudinal study of pre-service teachers’ development of TPACK in a required educational technology course [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Iowa State University.
- Kaplon-Schilis, A., & Lyublinskaya, I. (2017). Exploring independence of five TPACK domains TK, PK, CK math, CK science, and TPACK of pre-service special education teachers. In P. Resta, & S. Smith (Eds.), Proceedings of the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2367-2375). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education.
- Koehler, M., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK)? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70.
- Lin, C. H., Zheng, B., & Zhang, Y. (2017). Interactions and learning outcomes in online language courses. British Journal of Educational Technology, 48(3), 730-748. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjet.12457
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9620.2006.00684.x
- Mitchell, C. (2019). Cultivating future 21st century literacy teachers: An examination of the perceptions of pre-service teachers and technology integration. Journal of Literacy and Technology, 20(3), 75-102.
- Niess, M. L. (2005). Preparing teachers to teach science and mathematics with technology: Developing a technology pedagogical content knowledge. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21, 509-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2005.03.006
- Pamuk, S., Ergun, M., Cakir, R., Yilmaz, H. B., & Ayas, C. (2015). Exploring relationships among TPACK components and development of the TPACK instrument. Education and Information Technologies, 20(2), 241-263. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-013-9278-4
- Papert, S. (1991). Situating constructionism. In I. Harel, & S. Papert (Ed.), Constructionism (pp. 1-12). Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- Redmond, P., & Lock, J. (2019). Secondary pre-service teachers’ perceptions of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): What do they really think? Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 35(3), 45-54. https://doi.org/10.14742/ajet.4214
- Schmid, M., Brianza, E., & Petko, D. (2021). Self-reported technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) of pre-service teachers in relation to digital technology use in lesson plans. Computers in Human Behavior, 115, 106586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2020.106586
- Shulman, L. S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X015002004
- Song, L., Singleton, E. S., Hill, J. R., & Koh, M. H. (2004). Improving online learning: Student perceptions of useful and challenging characteristics. The Internet and Higher Education, 7(1), 59-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2003.11.003
- Tokmak, H. S., Incikabi, L., & Ozgelen, S. (2013). An investigation of change in mathematics, science, and literacy education pre-service teachers’ TPACK. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 22(4), 407-415. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40299-012-0040-2
- Tondeur, J, Scherer, R., Siddiq, F., & Baran, E. (2020). Enhancing pre-service teachers’ technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): A mixed-method study. Educational Technology Research and Development, 68(1), 319-343. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-019-09692-1
- Tondeur, J., Van Braak, J., Sang, G., Voogt, J., Fisser, P., & Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A. (2012). Preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology in education: A synthesis of qualitative evidence. Computers & Education, 59(1), 134-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2011.10.009
- Tseng, J.-J. (2016). Developing an instrument for assessing technological pedagogical content knowledge as perceived by EFL students. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 29(2), 302-315. https://doi.org/10.1080/09588221.2014.941369
- Voithofer, R., & Nelson, M. J. (2020). Teacher educator technology integration preparation practices around TPACK in the United States. Journal of Teacher Education, 72(3), 314-328. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487120949842
- Vonderwell, S. (2003). An examination of asynchronous communication experiences and perspectives of students in an online course: A case study. The Internet and Higher Education, 6(1), 77-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1096-7516(02)00164-1
- Voogt, J. M., Fisser, P., Roblin, N. P., Tondeur, J., & Van Braak, J. (2013). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A review of the literature. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 29(2), 109-121. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2729.2012.00487.x
- Wang, W., Schmidt-Crawford, D., & Jin, Y. (2018). Pre-service teachers’ TPACK development: A review of literature. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 34(4), 234-258. https://doi.org/10.1080/21532974.2018.1498039
- Wekerle, C., & Kollar, I. (2021). Fostering pre-service teachers’ situation-specific technological pedagogical knowledge–Does learning by mapping and learning from worked examples help? Computers in Human Behavior, 115, 106617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2020.106617
- Willermark, S. (2018). Technological pedagogical and content knowledge: A review of empirical studies published from 2011 to 2016. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 56(3), 315-343. https://doi.org/10.1177/0735633117713114
- Zhao, Y. (2003). What teachers should know about technology: Perspectives and practices. Information Age Publishing.