Design Thinking, a Novel Approach for an Effective and Improved Educational System–A Review
1 Department of Mechanical Engineering, SNS College of Engineering, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, INDIA* Corresponding Author
International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 4(1), 2022, ep2205, https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/12010
Published: 14 April 2022
OPEN ACCESS 722 Views 722 Downloads
The 21st century calls for improved technical skills and globally competitive caliber particularly among students to provide effective solutions for societal issues. This emphasizes the need to invent newer methods and techniques with a human friendly approach that is empathetically potent. Design thinking (DT) is one such scientific approach that helps one to create prototypes taking into consideration the creativity, visualization, design and redesign of things based on feedbacks, thus offering feasible solutions to any technical or socio-economic problems. Although many researches on implementation of DT strategies have been carried out globally as yet, little is known regarding how these techniques influence students’ learning experience and their problem solving capabilities in educational scenario. This article provides an overview of information’s collected from multiple data sources including organizational surveys, classroom observations showcasing the effectiveness of the application of DT approach for an improved educational system and organizational effectiveness.
Charles, S. (2022). Design Thinking, a Novel Approach for an Effective and Improved Educational System–A Review. International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 4(1), ep2205. https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/12010
- Ambrose, G., & Harris, P. (2010). Design thinking. AVA Publishing SA.
- Baker, F. W. III., & Moukhliss, S. (2020). Concretising design thinking: A content analysis of systematic and extended literature reviews on design thinking and human‐centred design. Review of Education, 8(1), 305-333. https://doi.org/10.1002/rev3.3185
- Bason, C. (2013). Discovering co-production by design. In E. Manzini, & E. Staszowski (Eds.), Public and collaborative: Exploring the intersections of design, social innovation and public policy (pp. viii-xvi). DESIS Network.
- Bazylak, J., & Wild, P. M. (2007). Best practices review of first-year engineering design education. In Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association. https://doi.org/10.24908/pceea.v0i0.3773
- Belkin, D. (2015). Skills gap found in college students. Wall Street Journal, A5.
- Bennett, S., Agostinho, S., & Lockyer, L. (2016). Investigating university educators’ design thinking and the implications for design support tools. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, 2016(9), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.5334/jime.404
- Bennetts, C., Cheeley, A., Caldwell, B. W., & Green, M. G. (2017). Comparing facets of divergent thinking in engineering freshmen and upperclassmen. In Proceedings of the 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (58219, V007T06A006). American Society of Mechanical Engineers. https://doi.org/10.1115/DETC2017-67604
- Blizzard, J. (2013). Design thinkers can save the world: How understanding their interests, goals, and motivations can inform engineering educators [PhD dissertation, Clemson University].
- Boy, G. A. (2017). Human-centered design as an integrating discipline. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics, 15(1), 25-32. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315557380-1
- Braha, D., & Reich, Y. (2003). Topological structures for modeling engineering design processes. Research in Engineering Design, 14, 185-199. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00163-003-0035-3
- Brones, F. A., de Carvalho, M. M., & de Senzi Zancul, E. (2017). Reviews, action and learning on change management for ecodesign transition. Journal of Cleaner Production, 142(Part 1), 8-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.09.009
- Brown, T. (2008). Design thinking. Harvard Business Review, 86(6), 85-92. https://doi.org/10.17077/0021-065X.6495
- Brown, T. (2009). Change by design: How design thinking transforms organizations and inspires innovation. Harper Business.
- Brown, T., & Wyatt, J. (2010). Design thinking for social innovation. Stanford Social Innovation Review, 8(1), 30-35. https://doi.org/10.1596/1020-797X_12_1_29
- Buchanan, R. (2019). Systems thinking and design thinking: The search for principles in the world we are making. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 5(2), 85-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2019.04.001
- Bucolo, S., & Matthews, J. (2010). Using a design led disruptive innovation approach to develop new services: Practicing innovation in times of discontinuity. In C. Kobe, & I. Goller (Eds.), Proceedings of the 11th International CINet Conference: Practicing Innovation in the Times of Discontinuity (pp. 176-187). CINet, Netherlands.
- Camillus, J. C. (2008). Strategy as a wicked problem. Harvard Business Review, 86(5), 99-106.
- Carlopio, J. (2009). Creating strategy by design. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, 3(5), 155-166. https://doi.org/10.18848/1833-1874/CGP/v03i05/37665
- Chen, S., Benedicktus, R., & Kim, Y. (2018). Teaching design thinking in marketing: Linking product design and marketing strategy in a product development class. Journal of Marketing Education, 40(3), 176-187. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475317753678
- Coleman, E., Shealy, T., Grohs, J., & Godwin, A. (2020). Design thinking among first‐year and senior engineering students: A cross‐sectional, national study measuring perceived ability. Journal of Engineering Education, 109(1), 72-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/jee.20298
- Cooper, R. F. D., Junginger, S., & Lockwood, T. (2010). Design thinking and design management: A research and practice perspective. Design Management Review, 20(2), 46-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1948-7169.2009.00007.x
- Cross, N. (2004). Expertise in design: An overview. Design Studies, 25, 427-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2004.06.002
- Davies, A. R., & Doyle, R. (2015). Waterwise: Extending civic engagements for co-creating more sustainable washing futures. ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies, 14(2), 390-400.
- Dorst, K. (2011). The core of ‘design thinking’ and its application. Design Studies, 32(6), 521-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2011.07.006
- Dunne, D., & Martin, R. (2006). Design thinking and how it will change management education: An interview and discussion. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 5(4), 512-523. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMLE.2006.23473212
- Dutson, A. J., Todd, R. H., Magleby, S. P., Sorensen, C. D. (2013). A review of literature on teaching engineering design through project oriented capstone courses. Journal of Engineering Education, 86(1), 17-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.1997.tb00260.x
- Dym, C. L., Agogino, A. M., Eris, O., Frey, D. D., & Leifer, L. J. (2013). Engineering design thinking, teaching, and learning. Journal of Engineering Education, 94(1), 103-120. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2005.tb00832.x
- Fleetwood, R. (2005). Design audit by research: Building a knowledge base for competitiveness by design. In Proceedings of Joining Forces. University of Art and Design Helsinki, Finland.
- Foster, M. K. (2019). Design thinking: A creative approach to problem solving. Management Teaching Review, 6(2), 237929811987146. https://doi.org/10.1177/2379298119871468
- Garbuio, M., Dong, A., Lin, N., Tschang, T., & Lovallo, D. (2018). Demystifying the genius of entrepreneurship: How design cognition can help create the next generation of entrepreneurs. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 17(1), 41-61. https://doi.org/10.5465/amle.2016.0040
- Gee, J. P. (2000). The new literacy studies: From ‘socially situated’ to the work of the social. Situated Literacies: Reading and Writing in Context, 2, 177-194.
- Glen, R., Suciu, C., & Baughn, C. (2014). The need for design thinking in business schools. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 13(4), 653-667. https://doi.org/10.5465/amle.2012.0308
- Hatchuel, A., & Weil, B., (2009). C-K design theory: An advanced formulation. Research in Engineering Design, 19, 181. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00163-008-0043-4
- Henriksen, D., Richardson, C., & Mehta, R. (2017). Design thinking: A creative approach to educational problems of practice. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 26, 140-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2017.10.001
- Hoolohan, C., & Browne, A. L. (2020). Design thinking for practice-based intervention: Co-producing the change point’s toolkit to unlock (un)sustainable practices. Design Studies, 67, 102-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2019.12.002
- IDEO. (2019). Design kit. http://www.designkit.org/resources/5
- Iskander, N. (2018). Design thinking is fundamentally conservative and preserves the status quo. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2018/09/design-thinking-is-fundamentally-conservative-and-preserves-the-status-quo
- Jones, P. (2017). The systemic turn: Leverage for world changing. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 3 (3), 157-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2017.11.001
- Kimbell-Lopez, K., Cummins, C., & Manning, E. (2016). Developing digital literacy in the middle school classroom. Computers in the Schools, 33(4), 211-226. https://doi.org/10.1080/07380569.2016.1249731
- Kolko, J. (2018). The divisiveness of design thinking. Interactions, 25(3), 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1145/3194313
- Kurtmollaiev, S., Fjuk, A., Pedersen, P. E., Clatworthy, S., & Kvale, K. (2018). Organizational transformation through service design: The institutional logics perspective. Journal of Service Research, 21(1), 59-74. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670517738371
- Laferriere, R., Engeler, B., & Rixon, A. (2019). Addressing cognitive challenges in applying design thinking for opportunity discovery: Reflections from a design thinking teaching team. She-Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 5(4), 383-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2019.11.012
- Lawson, B. R. (2006). How designers think. Architectural Press. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780080454979
- Lewis, J. M., Hayward, S., & Hornyak, R. (2017). Design thinking: Breaking fixation for new relationships between organizations. Journal of Business Strategy, 38(6), 20-30. https://doi.org/10.1108/JBS-07-2016-0074
- Lewis, J. M., McGann, M., & Blomkamp, E. (2020). When design meets power: Design thinking, public sector innovation and the politics of policymaking. Policy & Politics, 48(1), 111-130. https://doi.org/10.1332/030557319X15579230420081
- Liedtka, J. (2017). Evaluating the impact of design thinking in action. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2017(1), 177. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMBPP.2017.177
- Liedtka, J., Salzman, R., & Azer, D. (2017). Democratizing innovation in organizations: Teaching design thinking to non‐designers. Design Management Review, 28(3), 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/drev.12090
- Lindgaard, K., & Wesselius, H. (2017). Once more, with feeling: Design thinking and embodied cognition. She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, 3(2), 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2017.05.004
- Martin, R. L. (2007). Design and business: Why can’t we be friends? Journal of Business Strategy, 28(4), 6-12. https://doi.org/10.1108/02756660710760890
- Martin, R. L. (2009). The design of business; why design thinking is the next competitive advantage. HarvardBusiness Review Press.
- Matthews, J., & Wrigley, C. (2017). Design and design thinking in business and management higher education. Journal of Learning Design, 10(1), 41-54. https://doi.org/10.5204/jld.v9i3.294
- Meinel, C., & Leifer, L. J. (2011). Design thinking research. In H. Plattner, C. Meinel, & L. Leifer (Eds.), Design thinking research (pp. 1-11). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-21643-5_1
- Moultrie, J., & Livesey, F. (2009). International design scorecard: Initial indicators of international design capabilities. https://www.designcouncil.org.uk/sites/default/files/asset/document/InternationalDesignScoreboard.pdf
- Nussbaum, B. (2006, May, 17). A new ranking on global design from Helsinki: Where they know design. Business Week Online. http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2006/05/a_new_ranking_on_global_design_from_helsinki--where_they_know_design.html
- Nussbaum, M. C. (2009). Creating capabilities: The human development approach and its implementation. Hypatia, 24(3), 211-215. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1527-2001.2009.01053.x
- Owen, C. (2007). Design thinking: Notes on its nature and use. Design Research Quarterly, 2(1), 16-27.
- Peters, B. G. (2018). Policy problems and policy design. Edward Elgar Publishing. https://doi.org/10.4337/9781786431356
- Razzouk, R., & Shute, V. J. (2012). What is design thinking and why is it important? Review of Educational Research, 82(3), 330-348. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654312457429
- Rotherham, A. J., & Willingham, D., (2009). 21st century skills: The challenges ahead. Educational Leadership, 67(1), 16-21.
- Shute, V. J., & Becker, B. J. (2010). Prelude: Assessment for the 21st century. In V. J. Shute, & B. J. Becker (Eds.), Innovative assessment for the 21st century: Supporting educational needs (pp. 1-11). Springer Science + Business Media. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6530-1_1
- Shute, V. J., Ventura, M., & Torres R., (2012). Formative evaluation of students at quest to learn. International Journal of Learning and Media, 4(1), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.1162/IJLM_a_00087
- Starkey, K., & Tempest, S. (2009). The winter of our discontent: The design challenge for business schools. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 8(4), 576-586. https://doi.org/10.5465/amle.8.4.zqr576
- Verganti, R. (2006). Innovating through design. Harvard Business Review, 84(12), 114-122.
- Verganti, R. (2008). Design meanings and radical innovation: A metamodel and a research agenda. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 25(5), 436-456. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2008.00313.x
- Vihalemm, T., Keller, M., & Kiisel, M. (2020). From intervention to social change: A guide to reshaping everyday practices. Routledge.