Approach to Realistic Mathematics Education in Teaching Calculus for High School Students: A Case of the Application of Derivatives
1 Hong Duc University, Thanh Hoa, VIETNAM* Corresponding Author
International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 4(1), 2022, ep2203, https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/11832
Published: 03 March 2022
OPEN ACCESS 577 Views 2147 Downloads
The purpose of the study is to systematize some core principles of Realistic Mathematics Education (RME) theory in the design of mathematics teaching so that we can design a teaching model “applying derivatives” in the topic of calculus in high school. The feasibility of the model has been verified by us through two experimental lessons in class. With the positive results, we believe that the model we propose according to RME’s approach can improve the effectiveness of teaching and learning the topic of calculus at high schools in Vietnam today.
Da, N. T. (2022). Approach to Realistic Mathematics Education in Teaching Calculus for High School Students: A Case of the Application of Derivatives. International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 4(1), ep2203. https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/11832
- Bakker, A. (2004). Design research in statistics education: On symbolizing and computer tools [Doctoral dissertation, Utrecht University].
- de Lange Jzn, J. (1987). Mathematics, insight and meaning: Teaching, learning and testing of mathematics for the life and social sciences. OW & OC.
- de Lange Jzn, J. (1996). Using and applying mathematics in education. In A. J. Bishop, K. Clements, C. Keitel, J. Kilpatrick, C. Laborde (Eds.), International handbook of mathematics education: Part 1 (pp. 49-98). Kluwer.
- Fauzan, A. (2002). Applying realistic mathematics education (RME) in teaching geometry in Indonesian primary schools [Doctoral dissertation, Universiteit Twente].
- Fauzan, A. (2013). Pengaruh pendekatan RME dan kemandirian belajar terhadap kemamampuan matematis siswa [The effect of the RME approach and learning independence on students’ mathematical abilities]. Prosiding Semirata FMIPA, 1(1), 7-14.
- Franchini, E., Lemmo, A., & Sbaragli, S. (2017). The role of text comprehension in the process of mathematizing and modelling. DdM Didattica della Matematica. Dalle Ricerche alle Pratiche D’aula [DdM Mathematics Education. From Research to Classroom Practices], 2017(1), 38-64. https://doi.org/10.33683/ddm.17.1.3
- Freudenthal, H. (1973). Mathematics as an educational task. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-010-2903-2
- Freudenthal, H. (1983). Didactical phenomenology of mathematical structures. Springer.
- Freudenthal, H. (1991). Revisiting mathematics education: China lectures. Springer.
- Gravemeijer, K. (1994). Developing realistic mathematics education [Phd thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology].
- Gravemeijer, K. (2004). Emergent modeling as a precursor to mathematical modeling. In W. Blum, P. L. Galbraith, H.-W. Henn, M. Niss (Eds.), Modelling and applications in mathematics education (pp. 137-144). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-29822-1_12
- Gravemeijer, K., & Cobb, P. (2006). Design research from the learning design perspective. In T. Plomp, & N. Nieveen (Eds.), Educational design research. Routledge.
- Gravemeijer, K., & Doorman, M. (1999). Context problems in realistic mathematics education: A calculus course as an example. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 39, 111-129. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1003749919816
- Treffers, A. (1978). Wiskobas doelgericht [Wiskobas goal-directed]. IOWO, Utrecht.
- Treffers, A. (1987). Three dimensions. A model of goal and theory description in mathematics instruction. The Wiskobas project. Reidel. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-3707-9
- Treffers, A. (1991). Realistic mathematics education in the Netherlands. 1980-1990. In L. Streefland (Ed.), RME in primary school. Freudenthal Institute.
- Whittles, K. (2007). Cryptology: A didactical transposition into a grade 10 school mathematics classroom [PhD thesis, University of the Western Cape].
- Zulkardi, Z. (2010). How to design mathematics lesson based on the realistic approach? https://repository.unsri.ac.id/6362/1/rme.html