A Proposed Conceptual Model of Relevance of Teacher Education Curriculum
1 College of Education, Mindanao State University, General Santos City, PHILIPPINES* Corresponding Author
International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 3(1), 2021, ep2105, https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/10880
OPEN ACCESS 1048 Views 732 Downloads
There is a paucity of research and unresolved debate on the criterion of relevance in curriculum development across educational contexts. This paper is an initial research with the goal to propose a conceptual model of relevance in the context of teacher education. Following a qualitative research design, this study involved a maximum variation sampled participants from different sectors of teacher education. The main data analysis technique used was the thematic analysis. The result illustrates relevance through three themes; personal relevance, professional relevance, and societal relevance. This paper demonstrates relevance in the context of teacher education as a multifaceted criterion and can be presented through three expanding levels. A conceptual model of the relevance of the teacher education curriculum is depicted in the discussion of this study. Acknowledging further the robust process of model development in curriculum studies, continuous validation of the proposed model is recommended.
Cahapay, M. B. (2021). A Proposed Conceptual Model of Relevance of Teacher Education Curriculum. International Journal of Professional Development, Learners and Learning, 3(1), ep2105. https://doi.org/10.30935/ijpdll/10880
- Carver, F. B. (1990). The relevance of American environmental health curricula in relation to the environmental health education needs of Third World countries (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database (UMI No. 9033546).
- Chelplongoi, S. K. (2016). Relevance of curriculum in private colleges to the national goals of education: The case of commercial colleges in Baringo County, Kenya. EPRA International Journal of Economic and Business Review, 4(2), 48-55. Retrieved from https://eprawisdom.com/jpanel/upload/articles/
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Qualitative inquiry & research design: Choosing among five approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Curriculum relevance. (2020). Glossary of Curriculum Terminology, International Bureau of Education, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Retrieved from http://www.ibe.unesco.org/en/glossary-curriculum-terminology/c/curriculum-relevance
- Denzin, N. K., & Lincoln, Y. S. (2017). The SAGE handbook of qualitative research (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE. https://doi.org/10.1108/13522750910948815
- Dewey, J. (1902). The child and the curriculum. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Dirin, A., & Nieminen, M. (2016). Relevance of UCD education to software development: Recommendation for curriculum design. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Education. https://doi.org/10.5220/0005797901120120
- Hartwell, M. (2014). Relevance in the science classroom: a multidimensional analysis (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database (UMI No. 3623170).
- Hazarika, S. D. (1990). The relevance of curriculum to socio-economic needs: a case study of India (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database (UMI No. 041048).
- Hiim, H. (2017). Ensuring curriculum relevance in vocational education and training: Epistemological perspectives in a curriculum research project. International Journal for Research in Vocational Education and Training, 4(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.13152/ijrvet.4.1.1
- Husbands, S., Jowett, S., Barton, P. M., & Coast, J. (2017). How qualitative methods can be used to inform model development. PharmacoEconomics, 35(6), 607-612. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-017-0499-z
- Janssen-Brandt, X. M. C., Muijtjens, A. M. M., & Sluijsmans, D. M. A. (2017). Toward a better judgment of item relevance in progress testing. BMC Medical Education, 17(1), 151. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-017-0989-x
- Kampamba, J., Tembo, E., & Nkwae, B. (2017). An evaluation of the relevance of real estate curricula in Botswana. Property Management, 35(3), 275-305. https://doi.org/10.1108/pm-12-2015-0065
- Kotkas, T., Holbrook, J., & Rannikmäe, M. (2016). Identifying characteristics of science teaching/learning materials promoting students’ intrinsic relevance. Science Education International, 27(2), 194-216. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1104649.pdf
- Levitt, K. E. (2002). An analysis of elementary teachers’ beliefs regarding the teaching and learning of science. Science Education, 86(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.1042
- Lewis, R. M. (2002). Mathematics for all? The cultural relevance of connected mathematics (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database (UMI No. 1411090).
- Lombard, I. (1999). Towards relevance in language teaching: An outcomes-based approach. (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database (UMI No. 0666349).
- Mahmood, S. (2001). Identifying training needs for teachers in the commercial, technical institutes. Studies in Curricula and Instruction, 70(2), 113-135.
- Marrin, D. M. (2000). A study of the career choice relevance of the undergraduate business education at four private southern California colleges implications to the curriculum. Available from Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company (UMI Microform 9983695).
- Milenski, P. E. (1973). A curriculum development model for the high school English department chairman (Doctoral dissertation). University of Massachusetts, Boston.
- Moore, D. S., & McCabe, G. P. (2005). Introduction to the practice of statistics (5th Ed.). New York: W.H. Freeman & Company.
- Mumbo, H., & Kinaro, J. (2015). Assessment of quality and relevance of curricula development in health training institutions: a case study of Kenya. Human Resources for Health, 13, 67. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-015-0048-9
- Mungure, D. M. (2016). An exploration of the relevance of the pedagogy and academic content knowledge that are offered to prospective science and mathematics teachers in Tanzania Teachers’ Colleges. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(27), 107-114. Retrieved from https://iiste.org/Journals/
- Norman, R. (2018). A model for effective curriculum implementation in accredited private higher education institutions in Botswana (Master’s thesis). University of South Africa, Pretoria.
- Pangestu, D. (2019). Evaluative study relevance of curriculum development model of elementary school teacher education with elementary school curriculum. Terampil: Jurnal Pendidikan Dan Pembelajaran Dasar, 6(1), 14-22. https://doi.org/10.24042/terampil.v6i1.3827
- Patton, M. Q. (1987). How to use qualitative methods in evaluation. Newburry, Park, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Ranaweera, M. (1990). Relevance, balance and integration of the content of general education: Achievements, trends and issues: A synthesis. UNESCO Institute for Education.
- Rao, N. V., & Wedajo, A. L. (2018). Reforms in Indian teachers’ education curriculum: Examining a two-year B.Ed. curriculum in relation to teachers’ competencies and commitments. International Journal of Social Relevance & Concern, 6(2), 1. https://doi.org/10.26821/ijsrc.6.2.2018.6203
- Robins, M. (1974). A Study of Program Relevance in Selected Michigan Colleges and Universities. Michigan State University. Xerox University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106.
- Roofe, C. (2020). Curriculum as place: The social relevance of the secondary school curriculum in Jamaica. The Curriculum Journal. https://doi.org/10.1002/curj.70
- Skinner, W. (1978). Student and faculty perceptions of relevance of the secondary curriculum. Arizona State University, University Microfilms International.
- Stroupe, W. E. (2003). A study of West Virginia State Police Academy graduates’ perceptions of their degrees of competence and the relevance of the Marshall University Community and Technical College police science curriculum (Doctoral dissertation). Marshall University, West Virginia.
- Stuckey, M., Hofstein, A., Malmok-Naaman, R., & Eilks, I. (2013). The meaning of ‘relevance’ in science education and its implications for the science curriculum. Studies in Science Education, 49(1), 1-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057267.2013.802463
- Wallace, D. K. (1999). Curriculum development in professional education: a design model for information studies (Doctoral dissertation). University of Toronto, Canada.